Director of Learning Communities
Charlie Self serves as director of learning communities at Made to Flourish.
Charlie is an ordained minister with the Assemblies of God. He has served as an associate and senior pastor in several congregations in California, Oregon and Washington, D.C., and has served as an interim pastor six times. He currently also serves as professor of church history at The Assemblies of God Theological Seminary in Springfield, Missouri, where he teaches courses in apologetics, church history, mission history, leadership development, and discipleship. He is also co-developer of discipleship dynamics, a new research-based tool for churches and individuals to assess the effectiveness of their discipleship programs.
Charlie is the author of three books: The Divine Dance, The Power of Faithful Focus (with co-author Les Hewitt) and his most recent work with The Acton Institute, Flourishing Churches and Communities: A Pentecostal Primer on Faith, Work and Economics for Spirit-Empowered Discipleship.
He has an M.A. in history on the church and social change in Latin America (1992) and Ph.D. in modern european history, with foci on Belgian Protestantism and studies in virtue ethics and the holocaust (1995), from the University of California, Santa Cruz. He also has an M.A. in philosophical and systematic theology from The Graduate Theological Union and Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in Berkeley, California.
Charlie is married to Kathleen, a professional artist, and they have been married and on mission for 36 years. They have three adult children.
Resources by Charlie Self
- What you need to know about one of the first female African American millionaires
- A virtuous society involves you: Faith and work in perspective
- Neighborly love and overcoming divisions wisely
- Jesus’ prayer for unity: 5 ways it reveals hope for flourishing
- How do people and their communities flourish?
- Economic justice and the Lord’s Prayer: How they intertwine
- Pastors, prepare for a new economic world
- Hope when there is suffering all around
- Seasons of longing: Advent and God at work
- What is the faith we take to work with us?
- What Local Churches Can Do About Gentrification
- Politics and the Pastor: How to Walk in Wisdom
- Faith and Work: For Retirees
- 5 Principles for Economic Wisdom and the Future of the Church