- This event has passed.
Exegeting the City (Phoenix)
March 4 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm MSTFree
Pastors are often trained in how to study the Bible, but we rarely have
opportunities to learn how to study our city. Exegeting the City is a full-day class
that will help us understand the history, design, challenges, and assets of
Phoenix. We will turn the city into a classroom as we visit a variety of
neighborhoods, buildings, museums, and organizations in our city.
This class will provide pastors with the opportunity to interact with city leaders,
business leaders, educators, historians, and others who can help us understand
Phoenix and the role of the church can play in contributing to the flourishing of
this place. This class will expose the pastors to the basic tools of exegeting a
city, neighborhood, or community. This immersion experience will seek to expose
the theological truth that we are our “brother’s keeper” and that “we reap what we
sow” for good and ill.
1. Identify individual leaders, ministries, churches, and businesses, city leaders
who are doing substantial Kingdom work in the Valley and learn how we can be
shaped and partner with them.
2. Observe multiple theological perspectives and develop an appreciation for
how the whole church can provide theological perspectives that are like a
symphony making beautiful sounds to the Lord in benefit to our city.
3. Observe multiple contextual ministry philosophies with the purpose of learning
best practices and emerging trends.
4. Form new relationships with city leaders in the marketplace, the church, the
civic center, and among the poor.
5. Develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for the city of Phoenix.
6. Identify various barriers and challenges the church of Phoenix faces in
addressing the needs of the city. Develop strategic partnerships and plans to